Monday, November 16, 2015

1.2 Happy Occasions

"Do you want to have a party? I mean it's a big deal. Celebrating our joint birthdays." I said to Mitch.
"No thanks. I don't think we have a house that is worth showing off to people. Not when we are still missing floors and furniture."
"I guess you're right. Well, i'll start making a cake."
"We're having cake?"
"Of course we're having cake, silly. We might not be having a party, but a birthday demands cake!"
He walked up to me and held me close. "You're amazing, you know that? Not only have you stuck with me for so long, but now you're also gonna make me a birthday cake."
"It's nothing," I muttered shyly.
"I might have a little surprise for you later," he winked at me as he headed for the gym.
Today was our 35th birthday. The other day i had gotten a promotion and with the money from the bonus, we had bought a fridge, kitchen counter and an oven + stove.
I first went to the library to find a recipe for a chocolate cake on the internet. "Hm... No, not that one." I tapped my finger on my chin while browsing the recipes on www.simsrecipes.com. It was my favorite cooking site. It was where i had gotten all my cooking and baking recipes so far. Everyone could submit their recipe and when it was approved it would be featured on the site for anyone to print out.
Finally i found the one i had been looking for. Mss. Daisy's Chocolate Cake. I called over the librarian to have her print out the page. "No problem ma'am. I'll have it ready for you in a jiffy!"
She was always overjoyed by everything. Nothing could mess the librarian's day up, she was just way too cheerful for that.
"There you go." She said as she approached me with the recipe in hand. "So, what's the occasion?" she gave me a sweet smile.
"Well today is my boyfriend's and mine joint birthday. So i'm going to bake this cake." I folded the paper a couple times and put it in my pocket.
"Congratulations! How old are you turning? Are you having a party?"
"No. No party this time around. We're just going to celebrate quietly, just the way we like it. And we're both turning 35." I tried to give the overly happy librarian a smile, but it was a strained one. She was just too happy for my liking.
"Well, i guess it can be nice with a quiet birthday. But you deserve a party. Are you sure you won't reconsider? I can cater for you, if..."
"No no. No thank you. I have to get going now." I cut her off and left the library. It was nice to be out in the fresh, warm air, with birdsong above you and the smell of freshly cut grass.

When i arrived home Mitch still hadn't come home yet. I started putting together the ingredients and mixing them in a bowl.

"Hey honey, i'm home!" Mitch called from the door as he closed it. "Mmm it smells wonderful in here. What kind of cake are you making?"
"Hi sweety. I'm making a chocolate cake. I've even bought birthday candles. I thought i would make it a little bit special." I blushed as i turned my attention on the cake again. "I'm just gonna put it in the oven now. I'll be with you in a second."
I opened the oven and put the cake in, turning the heat on with the knobs.
Suddenly i felt his arms around me from behind. "You really smell nice today. What are you wearing?" He said as he smelled my hair.
"With Kisses - the one you gave me for my birthday last year."
"Ah yes. I like it." He kissed my neck. I turned around and kissed him on the lips. "You know, the cake has to stay in the oven for an hour. We have plenty of time." I winked at him.
"Come," he took my hand and steered me to our bedroom.

"Wow! That was amazing!" He said afterwards.
"Yes it really was." We lay half covered by the covers, half naked. "I'll be right back," I said, getting up. "Have to check on the cake," I added as he looked at me questioning.
I felt with a chopstick if it was finished, and it was. I took it out and placed it on the counter to cool off.
I walked back to the bedroom to get dressed.
"Oh...  no don't get dressed."
I laughed. "I have to. I can't walk around naked all day." I silly pushed him away as he leaned in to grab hold of me.
"Yeah okay." He started to get dressed as well. "Have you seen my other sock?"
"It's by the window." I said pointing to it.
"Oh right."

"Are you ready to turn 35?" He asked me with a playful look on his face.
"I don't think it is more different than being 34," I said as i readied myself to blow out the candles.
"Make a wish!" Mitch said loudly.
As i blew them out i wished for children. I've always known i wanted kids. I just thought i would have had them by now. But considering the circumstances i knew i hadn't been able to afford it yet. Hopefully that would change soon.
"My turn!" Mitch said and i lighted the candles once more.
"What did you wish for?" I asked curiously.
"If i tell you it won't come true." He said seriously.
"Oh right."
We cut the cake and ate it together on our new chairs. We hadn't been able to afford a table yet so we just held the plates in our hands.
After we had eaten the cake slices, i took out my guitar. "I know you said you had a surprise for me, but i have one for you too. I have practiced this a lot so i hope you like it." I breathed nervously and started playing. It was a serenade i had made myself for this occasion.
"I loved it," he said afterwards. He stood up and kissed me. "Now it is time for my surprise," he said in a serious tone. "I have a feeling you will like it," he winked at me.
He lowered himself slowly down on one knee and brought out a little ring. "Veronica, you are my life, the heart of my happiness. I love you. Will you marry me?" I looked at him in shock.
"I'd love to," I said, once i had found my voice again.
"Awesome," he muttered to himself. It made me smile. "I love you Mitch. I will always love you, no matter what."
He put the ring onto my finger and we kissed.
We had been together for so long, i thought he would never ask me, so i was definitely surprised.
"As we can't afford a big party, i think it would be best if we have a private wedding, just the two of us." I said.
"Well we might not have a party but we could still invite a few friends over. Should i call them now?"
"Okay," I gave him a happy, wide smile. "So, you want to tie the knot today?"
"Sure why not?" He said as he started dialing the numbers of our friends.

Soon enough we were standing with friends around us, in our little kitchen. We said our vows and put the rings onto each others fingers, concealing it with a kiss.
We all ate some of the birthday from earlier, since we hadn't had time to bake a new one for the wedding. Now we were officially married, we started working on getting pregnant immediately.

Mitch started spending more and more time at the library practicing chess. Often he would play with other people for the fun of it, but most times it would be for testing new strategies for work.
We both worked our butts off and soon enough we both earned another set of promotions.

On a Wednesday morning i felt really sick. I hurried to the bathroom to throw up. Though i felt horrible, i was also happy when i saw the result from the test. I was pregnant! Finally. Now we were really going to be a proper family.
Mitch was on his daily jog so i waited quietly in the kitchen for him to return.
When he finally came back, i was eating breakfast. "I need to talk to you," I said, more serious that i meant it. He looked worried as he sat down next to me. I looked at him with bright eyes. "I'm pregnant!" I suddenly squealed. I couldn't hold back my excitement anymore.
"Honey that's great!" He said excitedly. "We should start looking at baby furniture then."
"Easy now, it's first due in nine months." I smiled at how happy he was. It made me even more happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment