Tuesday, November 17, 2015

1.5 Twice The Surprise

"I can't make it to the hospital!" I screamed at Mitch, as i was in more pain than i had ever been in my life. This was definitely much worse than with Nic. At least he was in school right now.
"So you're just going to give birth here?!" He looked horrified.
"I don't have a god damn CHOICE!" I screamed in pain. "They are coming NOW!"
I laid on the floor with my pants off, screaming while Mitch stood looking scared.
In an hour it was all over and i had given birth to not just one, but two beautiful little girls. Phoebe and Kaylin were the most wonderful little bundles of joy you could ever imagine.
We had only bought one bassinet, but the same day as i gave birth, Mitch had run to the store to buy one more.
Now they were both in the one bedroom we had build. We desperately needed more room. I feared that when they grew up they would want their own bedrooms.

Nic loved to play with his sisters, even though they were too little to leave the bassinets.
Every day after school he would check on them to see if they were alright and if they needed anything. Sometimes he would be allowed to bottle feed them.
He was steadily gaining friends at school. One boy in particular made an impression on him. Rashad Jacques was around his own age and they would often hang out at our house, playing games or just talking about what happened at school.
"Did you see her face when he farted?" Nic laughed hard. "It was so funny!"
"I know!" Rashad said. "Why was she embarrassed when it wasn't her doing it, though?"
"Don't you know? They're brother and sister."
"They are?" Rashad made big eyes. "I had no idea."
"Duh! They share the same last name."
"Rashad, are you staying for dinner?" I asked, walking into the kitchen from outside. I had been tending to my garden. I really needed to get a hold on some more plants.
"No, i have to get home soon. My Mom said specifically that i had to be home at eight o'clock tonight as it is my sister's birthday. We're having chocolate cake," he winked at Nic.
"That's nice," I said. "I'll start making dinner in a minute. Nic would you please go wash your hands?"
"Sure Mom," he said, walking to the bathroom.

That night it was quiet at the dinner table. For once the twins didn't cry their head off while we were eating.
"So how was school today son?" Mitch asked.
"Fine," he said while shoveling food into his mouth.
"Don't eat like that," I said disapprovingly. "And give your father a better answer."
"Sorry Mom."
"What did you do in school?" Mitch asked.
"Nothing much. We colored some pictures and read in books. Oh," his eyes lightened up. "Michaela's brother farted and she got so embarrassed she had to excuse herself. She was later heard crying to  her best friend that her brother was so disgusting that from now on she would never again acknowledge that they are siblings." He looked eagerly at both of us.
"Ehm,.. okay." Mitch couldn't find anything else to say.
"That's not very nice of her," I said to him. "You should let her know that it is wrong to judge people because they farted."
"It's not my responsibility to say to people what they can or cannot do," he retorted.
"He's right dear," Mitch said to me. "It's their own problem. The parents should take action, not Nic."
"Hmph." What else could i really say? I guess they were right, but it just seemed wrong to me. We all had to take our part in making the community a nice place to live in.
My thoughts on the matter were quickly getting out of hand. I suddenly had turned my son's little funny remarks into an adult issue that could affect the whole community. I needed to do something else than walking around at home all the time with nothing but the twins and my thoughts as company.

"I want to go back to work," I said to Mitch one night while we were relaxing in bed together. He was reading a new book that had just been released yesterday.
"You should dear," he said looking at me. "It would do you good. We can sign the twins up for daycare."
"Daycare. Yeah that sounds like a good idea. It would be good for them to get out between other little children."
"You're right. I'll call my boss tomorrow and let her know that i'm coming back."
I slept really good that night. Better than i had slept ever since the twins were born.

Ahh. Finally back to work, i thought as i stepped inside the door after a good day practicing for my next show. But the audience was starting to demand that i play my own songs. I had to get to work on some songs then. I hadn't tried to write in years, but now it was time to give it another try. As Mitch took care of the twins together with Nicolas, i started strumming on my guitar, playing with various cords.

In just a week's time i had written my first song. It was a relaxed rhythm i named "A Summer's Wind". Everyone loved it. It was a great hit and i ended up recording it with a studio. Weeks later it was still being played in the radio. Things were starting to look up. Mitch was given another promotion. This time to Command Center Lead. He had been transferred to the "Space Department", where they were specializing in space and spaceships.
He was now set to work out instead of playing chess. It was all a part of making him ready for traveling in space. I had started to really dislike his career choice. It sounded dangerous and life threatening. What if something happened to him? I would be left alone to raise three children! He said i was worrying for no reason. It was safe these days to fly into space. Everything was under control the entire time. So far no one had gotten killed during space traveling and he was sure he wouldn't be the first to die from it.
My mind though, it had thoughts and pictures of him dying a horrible death.

The way i handled the bad thoughts was that i threw myself more into my work. Writing more songs, and licensing them through a record company. To really work on my tunes and write music was a great way for me to relieve myself from stress.

"Thank you! Thank you!" I called out to the audience. It had been another great performance. They loved me and my songs. I was still just a warm up for the big names, but at least people listened and loved watching me perform.
"You were great out there," my agent told me as i got off the stage. He was a middle aged man with grey tones in his hair and a huge beard with mustache. A little on the chubby side. It wasn't difficult to imagine him having a loving wife at home to make him dinner every night. "We demand and you deliver. Amazing!" He puffed on his cigar and then said: "You could totally make a lot of money by performing for tips in the park. Have you ever considered that? Perform at parties and people will throw their money at you." He said in a hoarse voice. I stood a little back when he coughed hard and long. "Sorry about that." Cough cough. "As i was saying, throw a couple parties and play your new songs. I'm certain you can make some big money from that. Excuse me." He coughed again while walking away. "Hey Jones!" I heard him call out to someone.
It was going to be the twins birthday soon. After that i could throw parties and play my music. 


No comments:

Post a Comment