Saturday, November 28, 2015

3.11 At The Hospital

Logan's Pov

"I can't take it any longer!"
"What was that?" I asked Hailey.
She looked at me puzzled. "It kind of sounded like Mom!"
We crept out of my bedroom and over to the stairs in the hallway.
"Honey, calm down!" It was Dad yelling now! I looked frightened at Hailey and she at me. "What's going on?" I whispered to her.
"I don't know!" she whispered back.
"Don't you tell me to calm down!" Mom yelled. "It's wrong! Just wrong! Why won't it go away?!"
"Honey you need help," Dad pleaded with her. Mom was scaring me. What did she need help with? Could I help?
"You need to see a doctor, Kylie!" Dad said earnestly.
"You just think I'm crazy like everybody else!" Smash! Something was thrown and broke against the wall.
"Well look at how you are behaving right now! You just broke the vase for crying out loud! Just calm down and I'll call a cab. Then we'll go to the doctor together!"
"Oh yeah, right. Like that'll solve anything. And who is going to take care of the kids while we're both away?"
"I'll call Skylar. I'm sure she wouldn't mind for a couple of hours. Just, please honey, give me a chance to help you. I love you," he begged her.
Then silence. For a few seconds Hailey and I held our breaths, but it felt like minutes.
"Alright, alright i guess it couldn't hurt."
"That's good. Now you just sit in the sofa and i'll go call Skylar."
We heard Dad rummage around downstairs and then his phone call to Aunt Skylar.
"Hi Skylar, it's William. I need your help. Can you come over and look after the children? I have to get Kylie to the doctor."
Aunt Skylar must have been talking on the other end of the phone because for a few seconds there were complete silence.
"No, i'm afraid it's gotten worse. She freaked out when she kept hearing voices. They wanted her to do horrible things. She even broke my Late Mother's vase! She needs help, but we have to get a babysitter for the kids."
Silence.
"You will?! Thank you Skylar, thank you! You don't know how much this means to me! Okay, i'll see you in a bit alright? Good. Great. Thanks, bye!"
"What did he mean about Mom hearing voices?" Hailey asked me. I was afraid this day would come. At school the other kids had teased me with that my Mom was insane. I had talked with my parents about it and they confirmed that Mom was mentally ill.
"Mom has schizofrenia. It's a mental illness." I whispered to Hailey. She just looked at me confused.
"What's a mental illness, Logan?" How was i supposed to explain that to her? I didn't actually know myself what the words meant. I just knew the name of my Moms diagnosis.
"I'll tell you later," I whispered back. I had to ask Dad for help.


"Remember to tell your Mother how much you love her," our Dad said as we drove in a cab to the hospital. Mom had been admitted to the psychiatric hospital after her breakdown two weeks ago. Now we were on our way to visit her for the first time.
"That'll be 78 simoleons, please," the cabdriver said. Dad handed him the money and we all stepped out.
"Take your brother's hand," Dad said to Hailey. Dad had told us that Mom needed some time away to deal with some personal problems she had. That she needed help to overcome them and then she would return home. But nobody seemed to be able to answer for how long she would be gone. I was going to ask her today. If anybody knew, she would.

"Hi my darlings," Mom said as she saw us walking down the hall in the ward. Hailey and I ran into our Mother's arms. "Mom, i've missed you," I said as i felt tears spring to life in my eyes. I hadn't realized how much i had missed my Mom before i saw her agian.
"I've missed you too Logan. And you too Hailey," she hugged us both.
She looked up to see Dad staring at us.
"I've missed you too, Kylie," he said as he made his way over to kiss her on her cheek.

We sat together in Mom's room. It had two chairs, a little coffee table and a bed. It made me sad to see where Mom was living now.
"Mom, how long do you have to stay here?" I asked her. Dad, whom sat besides Mom, sent me an angry look, but i ignored it. I had the right to know.
"I don't know sweetheart, but a little while longer," Mom said. "Oh I've just missed you all so much! How's school? Are the other kids treating you alright?"
Hailey and I looked knowingly at each other. The other Kids at school had teased us a lot since Mom got admitted. Apparently Tamara's Mom works at the hospital and she told Tamara that Mom was here and Tamara told everyone in school that our Mom was at the mental institution. So now they teased us again with Mom being insane. But this time it was worse. It affected Hailey as well and i didn't like that.
"Everything is fine Mom," I lied. I didn't want to worry her. She had enough on her plate as it is.
"But..." Hailey started but i nudged her in the sides with my elbow and it shut her up.
It still caught Mom's attention though. "But what?" she asked, looking from Hailey to me.
"But we just wanted to tell you how much we love you, Mom," I said, saving the day.
"Aww that's so sweet. I love you two too." She turned to our Dad. "Who's watching the twins?"
"I asked Skylar if she could watch them again," he said. Something about Dad's expression worried me. I couldn't quite put a finger on it, but it seemed kind of off. He wasn't his usual happy self anymore. Was it just because Mom was at the hospital? Or was it something more?

Kylie's Pov

We had told the kids to go play on the playground outside while William and I had a private talk. I sincerely hoped that Logan wouldn't eavesdrop at the door again.
"We need to talk," William said to me.
"I know," I said. "I'm really sorry i broke your Mother's vase. It wasn't nice of me."
His brows furrowed as he looked at me.
"That's not what i'm talking about." He sat down in one of the chairs while i sat on my bed, feeling uneasy.
"This isn't easy for me to say, but... I think we need a break. Things haven't been good lately. Mainly because you have had so many outbursts and your illness has been getting worse. Your medicine hasn't been working properly and you've been hearing voices and talking to them. It takes a toll on me. I don't know how to handle it. I still love you, but well... i don't know." He breathed heavily and ran his fingers through his hair. "I just think we should wait this out and see what happens. Maybe while you are in here we can spend some time apart and then we will know what to do."
While he spoke i become more and more tense. I didn't know what to say. I felt sick to my stomach, like something were turning my insides out.
"You want a... a divorce?" I forced myself to say the words.
"I didn't say that. But we need to consider it. I've been unhappy for a while now, I've almost forgotten what it is like to be happy. I want to change things for the better, and if it turns out that a divorce is the best way to go, then yes. Then i might want a divorce. But i will still say that we need to think about this. Take your time to consider every possibility and i will do the same."
"I see." I had no idea what else to say, so i just sat in silence. I felt completely numb. It was like i couldn't feel any emotions. The love of my life was talking about getting a divorce. I couldn't fathom the idea of me as a single mom. With no man to love. But that wasn't true. I would love him until the day i die. No matter what.
After minutes of silence William finally broke it.
"I should get home with the kids. I have to make dinner and tuck them into bed." He got up and walked towards the door. When he was about to exit he turned around and said: "I hope you feel better soon Kylie. I do love you." He walked out. I heard him call the kids to him and he left the hospital.

After that i was in a state of shock. I couldn't believe he had said those things. He loved me, but he wanted a break? It didn't make any sense. I would lie in bed for hours thinking of the meaning of what he had said.
I sat down on the couch in the common room together with some of the other patients.
"Hi Kylie. Was that your family visiting yesterday?" Katherine Vogue asked.
"Yes," I sighed.
"You don't seem too happy though. Is something wrong?"
"Leave her alone," Jonas Hansson said disapprovingly.
"No, Jonas it's okay. Actually things aren't that great with my husband and I at the moment. If things doesn't get better we might be getting a divorce." I felt angry tears well up in my eyes, and i quickly wiped them away.
"Oh no, sweetheart I'm so sorry," Katherine said sincerely.
"Yeah well, what can i do?" I tried not to cry. But it was difficult. I was angry and sad at the same time. How could he do this to me? To our family? To break up a family was a serious thing. I hadn't realized it before, but now it became clear to me. William might not have been having an affair, like Skylar's husband had had with her, and i thought now that it was very wrong and horrible of her, but he might as well have had. He was breaking up our family in the worst possible way.
Katherine was very young. Being in her twenties she was young enough to be my daughter.
"Do you want to talk about it Kylie?" she asked compassionately.
"Yes please," I was starting to break down.
We walked to her room together. I couldn't bare spend more time in my own room at the moment, with all this sadness inside of me. It reminded me of what had happened in there the day before.
Katherine were the only one to have a television in her room. She was schizophrenic like i was, though not as badly hit.
I told her what had happened when William and the kids had been to visit.
"I'm so sorry to hear that honey. I can't believe he would say those things. He should be here to support you." She said disapprovingly. She had been the first to say she didn't like my husband. She didn't care for him as he was very sweet and she thought that sweet men were pussies and they should've stayed with their mommies. Then she didn't like him because he had admitted me to the psychiatric ward. And then she didn't like him now because of what he had done the day before. Apparently the only person she really liked was me. We got along well, mostly because of our shared illness. But also our differences made us a perfect match for interesting conversations. Despite her being so young, she had experienced a great deal. More than a lot of forty year old's could talk about.
"Getting home to my husband and my kids was what were keeping me above the water in here. Now i have nothing to look forward to." Again i felt the tears prickle in my eyes and soon i was sobbing uncontrollably onto Katherine's shoulder. "I just don't get it!" I cried. "I've done everything for that man! I've birthed him four children!" I was so angry i screamed the last few words.
A knock on the door brought me out of my hysterical crying.
"Excuse me," a nurse said as she opened the door. "The other patients want you to tone it down a bit. You are being very loud." She glanced at me, and i thought she looked kind of mean.
I'm sorry Gertrude, we'll keep it down," Katherine said.
Mhm.” She said and left, closing the door.
I'm sorry for getting you into trouble,” I said.
Nah, don't worry about it,” she sent me a little smile. ”I'm getting pretty tired. It would probably do you good to rest as well. Come on, i'll get you to bed.” She took my hand and helped me to my room. As I lay down in bed she stroke me on my forehead and hummed a little melody until i fell asleep. She turned off the light and left, closing and locking the door. Katherine was my best friend. Sometimes you would think she was older than me. She seemed more mature at times. She would cuddle me when i was sad or depressed, calm me down when i was upset or angry and laugh with me when i was happy and cheerful.
We would go for long walks in the hospital's garden, enjoying all the flowers and the fresh air. We would even eat together in the dining area when it was time for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Basically we did everything together.


No comments:

Post a Comment